Code of Conduct
Our league has adopted the following code of conduct:
The Bloomington Normal Youth Football League is a competitive league that strives to promote hard work, dedication and team work towards a common goal. This competitive spirit minus sportsmanship will only undermine all the positive lessons attempting to be taught. The six directors of the teams comprising the BNYFL have adopted this code of conduct to help keep proper perspective for all those involved with each participating organization. Also, it is also important to note that it is now a felony to even touch an official. This information is not on the IHSA website as it is legislation, not simply a rule. The following link will take you to the actual legislation:
The essential elements of character-building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and good citizenship. The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these "six pillars of character." I therefore agree:
I will not force my child to participate in sports.
I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults.
I will inform the coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league.
I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game, practice or other sporting event.
I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent such as booing and taunting; refusing to shake hands; or using profane language or gestures.
I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the health and wellbeing of the athletes.
8. I will teach my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
I will demand that my child treat other players, coaches, officials and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex or ability.
I will teach my child that doing one's best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance.
I will praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard, and make my child feel like a winner every time.
I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participant for making a mistake or losing a competition.
I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit my child over winning. I will also deemphasize games and competition in the lower age groups.
I will promote the emotional and physical well-being of the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have for my child to win.
Release / Waiver
1. PERMISSION TO PARTICIPATE: I, the parenVguardian of the above-named participant hereby acknowledge that my child is in good general health and I give my approval for my child to participate in any and all Bloomington Knockers association and team/squad activities, including transportation to and from the activities by a licensed driver with proof of insurance.
2. INTENT TO INFORM: I acknowledge that I am fully aware of the potential dangers of participation in any sport and I fully understand that participation in football, cheerleading and/or dance may result in serious injuries, disability, paralysis and/or death. Furthermore, I fully acknowledge and understand that protective equipment does not prevent all participant injuries, and therefore I do hereby waive, release, absolve, indemnify, and agree to hold harmless the league and Bloomington Knockers., and any and all organizers, sponsors, supervisors, participants, and persons transporting the above named participant to and from activities, from any claim arising out of any injury to my/our child whether the result of negligence or for any other cause.
3. EMERGENCY MEDICAL AUTHORIZATION: I hereby grant my permission for any and all emergency medical/dental treatment and/or first aid to be administered to my child/participant, including authorizing any medical treatment facility/hospital to administer emergency treatment, for any illness/injury/accident resulting from participation in any and all Bloomington Knockers activities.
4. EQUIPMENT RESPONSIBILITY: I agree to assume full responsibility for any and all equipmenVuniforms loaned to the above named participant and I agree to promptly return, upon request, the uniform and other equipment issued to the above named participant in as good condition as when received except for normal wear and tear. If I fail to adhere to this policy, I will be responsible for the replacement cost of such equipment.
5. INSURANCE DISCLOSURE: I am aware that the Bloomington Knockers carry group accident insurance which is considered secondary or excess for medical purposes to any and all valid insurance I possess is considered primary insurance. Furthermore, I agree to notify in writing my head coach and Bloomington Knockers of any medical claim as a result of participation in Bloomington Knockers as soon as reasonably possible. I understand that any registration fee paid does not constitute a direct premium for insurance and that a deductible(s) may apply.